16 May 2007

Example: Speaking of the military...

I received an email from a man named Chris yesterday. He shared with me a completely do-able way his family performs their own senseless acts of kindness:

"Its not so random, but every time my family and I are out eating, or i am out by myself, and there are servicemen, or women, we buy their meal.

It doesn't matter if there is one or ten.

we have bought a meal for a serviceman and his pregnant wife, a group of 5 on temp leave before going overseas.

two nights ago, at Chili's, we bought for a Army First Lt. on leave and away from his family.

Most of the time its anonymous, but occasionally the wait staff tells them, and we approach them and thank them for their service and sacrifice for our freedom.

sometimes they cannot believe it, some have cried, but not one has ever said no and been too proud.

if my kids are with us, they thank them as well, and shake their hands.

we get their names and my wife and i pray for them.

Its only money, and its not our money to spend, but Gods, but we have made a huge difference in their life for one moment. And i know they will not forget it."
I'm sure they won't forget it, either. I still remember the time I was dining alone and someone bought me dessert. It made my day! Also, my favorite Craigslist story, ever, was a post from a woman whose dinner tab was paid on Thanksgiving.

Thank you, Chris, for keeping the Kindness Revolution alive.

[photo credit: bumpoowilly]

No comments: