16 May 2007

Mission 1: Operation Pen Bouquet

Mission Objective: To secretly deliver a pen bouquet to Andrew.
Target: Andrew, an unwitting victim of a pen robbery.
Operation specs:
3 May 2007, Thursday- Andrew posts a missed connection ad against pen thievery after his own pen was accidentally stolen. He writes:

I never lend people pens, because they never give them back. However, I was willing to take a chance on your returning my pen, as I was sitting next to you. Yet, somehow when I looked up, you were gone, and so was my pen.

I realize it's just a pen, but dammit, dont say "May I BORROW a pen" if you plan on walking away with it.
3 May 2007, Thursday- On behalf of all who accidentally steal pens, I email Andrew and offer to replace said pen, saying:
I didn't take your pen, but I would like to give you one on behalf of all people who accidentally take pens. I will email you back with a secret location where you can pick up your new pen.

Sincerely,
The Missed Connection Fairy
6 May 2007, Sunday- Andrew returns the correspondence and inquires where he can find his new pen. He writes:
Where is this location? I needed a pen the other day and did not have one.
13 May 2007, Sunday- We agree that I would hide a new pen at Half Price Books on Lamar. He offers to leave a mix CD. I write:
This is going to be so much fun! I will hide a pen some where in Half Price Books. I will hide it on Wednesday. After I plant it, I will send you an email.
15 May 2007, Tuesday- I go to Office Max and Target to search for the perfect pen. I end up choosing seven different pens.

16 May 2007, Wednesday- Pens were successfully delivered along with a "You're It!" card. Specific location of pens were told via email. I randomly chose to hide the pens behind some philosophy books. I write:
The pens are at Half Price Books on Lamar.
5555 N. Lamar & Koenig
Austin, TX 78751-1073

They are in the philosophy section behind a bunch of bright pink books called "The Mediocrity" by Dominique Lecourt. I hope you get there soon! A woman was reshelfing the books when I left. There's a little card for you, too.
16 May 2007, Wednesday- Pens were successfully received, as the following emails confirms:
Email 1- (Prior to picking up the pens) I know exactly where that is. What's funny, is that I love philosophy. I am putting songs onto this CD right now, and then I am going to head down there in about 30 minutes.

Email 2 (58 minutes later, after the pens were picked up) A green pen? Green is my favorite color!
Operation Pen Bouquet status: Mission accomplished.

I'll pick up the mix CD from its super secret location tomorrow. As soon as I give it a listen, I'll post the playlist online. Who knows. It may be the first official soundtrack to Austin Anonymous.

No comments: