17 May 2007

Our first letter of thanks: Purple Sweats and Gold Recliners

As you may know from the trusty sidebar over there, one of the goals of this blog is to thank anonymous do-gooders. I got the following in my inbox yesterday, and it's exactly what I'm talking about:

When I was getting my very first apartment as an adult out of college, I did like most poor recent graduates and went to the thrift store to look for cheap furniture. I spied two retro crushed velor recliners, and I pined for them. My best friend/ roommate and I only had $20 between us (the deposit and first month's rent was killing us on our waitress salary). We sat in the recliners to deliberate when we could have enough money to come back to pick up the recliners ($25 each).

As we were lamenting, a woman who worked at the store came up to us and asked, "Do you girls have a truck to take these recliners home?"

I said, "No, but we decided that we'll get them some other day."

The lady smiled. "A woman who wishes to remain anonymous just purchased those chairs for you. She said she remembered what it was like to be young and getting your first apartment away from home. Did you happen to see the woman in the purple sweats? She's who you should thank."

My roommate and I were aghast. Unfortunately, we didn't recall seeing a woman in purple sweats, but her kindness awed me. We couldn't believe that a total stranger would buy two kooky girls a pair of funky gold recliners. I was so happy that I cried.
The girl who wrote me the email didn't have a photo of her recliners, but she sent me a link to the above photo and said "our chairs look JUST LIKE the one on the right!!!". Coolness. I love the little old man, too. I hope someone bought him a recliner!

I love these stories, so keep 'em coming. To the Lady in the Purple Sweats, I hope one day someone returns the favor.

No comments: