14 May 2007

Restitution: For those who accidentally steal ink pens

I want it to be said that no small act of kindness should go unnoticed. While it is vitally important that we all do things for the greater good of humanity (like feed the homeless or help out a financially struggling single mother), it is also important that we don't ignore the "silly". It's quite possible that something small and ridiculous will brighten someone's day.

For instance, this endearing post was on the Austin Craigslist Missed Connections on May 3rd:

I never lend people pens, because they never give them back. However, I was willing to take a chance on your returning my pen, as I was sitting next to you. Yet, somehow when I looked up, you were gone, and so was my pen.

I realize it's just a pen, but dammit, dont say "May I BORROW a pen" if you plan on walking away with it.
I immediately wrote back:
I didn't take your pen, but I would like to give you one on behalf of all people who accidentally take pens. I will email you back with a secret location where you can pick up your new pen.

Sincerely,
The Missed Connection Fairy
In two days, I am going to plant a new pen in a secret location and will email him with directions. He's going to leave a mix CD in its place. I can't wait!
[photo credit: big e mr g]

No comments: